Saturday, August 28, 2010

my last day in Haiti, a tropical country filled with a striking contrast of richness in beauty and poverty in nearly everything else.. 7/30/10





(so I finally got around to typing up these last 2 posts about my time in Haiti... lets just say I was building up your suspense for the best part haha. Enjoy!!)


Today was our last day in Haiti. This morning we did a clinic at a church in a village where we had to park the bus and walk through a banana tree forest! The clinic only lasted until 12 because the bus had to be back early to pick up another group at the airport. The crowd got pretty rowdy at this one. When we started packing up, people came up to the tables and kept asking for things. It's hard to have to turn people away! We gave out a LOT of baby food and toothbrushes this morning.

We came back to the compound and just lounged around til about 4. Then we went to the beach!!! My first Caribbean experience... I loved it. And I swam! Haha that was my first time ever swimming in the ocean. The water was clear, and blue, and absolutely gorgeous. And a beautiful mountain landscape was nestled behind us. Captivating, my God, You are captivating. Sam and I swam in this beautiful ocean for about half an hour, and we even jumped from the rocks! He (and everyone else for that matter) was absolutely shocked that I had never swam in the ocean before... especially after just returning from spending a year in Costa Rica. We then walked along the rocky beach and found some perfectly molded conch shells (which I hid in my laundry to bring home haha). Next was dinner in the restaurant there at Wahoo Bay Resort. I ordered Conch Creole, and it was actually quite delicious!! It was spicy and came with rice and beans, fries, and slaw. Yuuuummmmm. I was also forced to try the slaw in the middle of the table. It was like pure jalapeno juice. My mouth and throat burned for like 10 minutes haha.

When we got back to the compound (only 10 minutes down the road), it came a huge storm. It stormed for probably 2 hours and some of our stuff upstairs got wet from where the wind blew in the rain. Sam and I played with the kids one last time and took a bunch of pictures (which no one will ever see because Sam lost his camera on the plane on the way back home..) . I'm really gonna miss those kids!! They're wild, but beautiful. The ones I'll remember the most are Bebe, Benson, Ismael and some of the girls whose names I never could understand.

A most pleasant and fulfilling final day in the beautiful country of Haiti.


Benson


















Ismael (red), Bebe
(orange)

No comments:

Post a Comment