Sunday, August 8, 2010

day 6 in another country that has stolen my heart--




Today we went in to another village close by. The pharmacy was out under a huge tree. it was quite cool for us today! We had over 400 come through and ended up having to close the gate to keep people out because we were running out of medicine and time. It was really sad to hear people banging on the gate wanting to come in, be seen, and get medicine. They hadn't had a medical group there in 8 years.
Something kinda awesome happened today as we were cleaning up!! A man came up to Sam and started talking to him in Spanish. After using the majority of Sam's Spanish knowledge in their salutation, the man starting rambling on about his son's cabeza (head).. at that Sam was like, uhh, hold on, and came and got me. So I finally got the opportunity to use my Spanish to help someone in HAITI!!!! I was stoked. haha. I got to translate between this man (who I am guessing is Dominican..) and Dr. Tracy. I felt very accomplished.


This evening we played with the kids (surprising, huh? haha) Then it started storming around us. There was a beautiful lightening show in the sky, and I sat at the side with no roof and watched it for a while. Then it got really windy, and we thought the storm was going to come right over us. So, we moved things away from the edges so they wouldn't get wet. It ended up never actually getting to us, but the generator cut off at like 9:30. Before we went to bed, Sam and I made some sweeeeeeet necklaces for some of the kids with bandanas and bottle caps. We got skilllll.
Another wonderful day!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment